Sunday, October 20, 2013

Raw Sushi

     A couple years back, my parents and I went to a really nice Japanese restaurant in Chicago to try out there sushi.  My parents immediately fell in love with the sushi they served, they loved the appearance of the dish and the freshness of the raw fish.  I on the other hand could not imagine putting something raw in my mouth, the thought of that really disturbed me.  I was okay with the cooked rolls, but when it comes to raw rolls ,sashimi or nigiri, I just can't eat it.  Many people either love the raw rolls or hate it, the people who love them say that it doesn't taste fishy or you can't even taste the raw fish in the rolls.  I guess it wasn't that really bothered me, what bothered me was the fact that I am eating something raw, I just can't get over that! What
     I've heard from most people is that raw fish taste better than cooked fish.  As much as I hated raw sushi, i went and tried it to see if it was true.  I went to a sushi restaurant and ordered a couple of sashimis and nigiris.  Surprisingly I ate the whole thing, and to be honest, it was really good, (if you've never tried raw sushi I suggest you do, you will fall in love with it) I never thought I could like something that I could not get over the rawness of the sushi.  You could say that the theory produced by the sushi lovers are true.  The raw fish is really delicate, softer than the cooked fish, and it just melts in your mouth.  It's not flaky and it doesn't fall apart easily.    
     When eating raw sushi I suggest dipping it in wasabi and soy sauce, it just adds a zing to your roll and you are less likely to notice the fishiness flavor of the raw fish.  I don't really like the ginger that comes with the sushi, because I am  not a ginger lover, but most people love it because it kind of soothes the wasabi.  What I like to do when I am out dining at a sushi restaurant is to ask the chef to make me something that's not on the menu, anything that he wants to make, I am never disappointed at the chef, every time it's delicious, beautiful and definitely filling.  From that moment that I tried raw sushi, I fell in love, it was definitely very appetizing, it may not sound appetizing but trust me it's appetizing. 

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm hungry!!
    I have a similar case: I thought raw fish would be gross but then I wanted to try it after seeing others eat it so scrumptiously. But I disagree about the wasabi part, no wasabi for me.

    ReplyDelete